Sunday, June 14, 2009

Under The Weather

I just returned from a 4 day trip to SA with not 1 single picture. No my friend, taking pictures requires a free hand which I did not have because Kendall did not want to be put down the entire time. Teething time has come and it makes for one very unhappy, restless baby.

*** Update *** Elizabeth, my step mom sent me some pictures she had taken of Pawpaw and Kendall after reading this entry.

Tuesday before I left for my trip Kendall woke with a fever. I took her to the Dr. to confirm my suspicions that she was teething. I just wanted to be certain it was nothing more before we left on our trip. She is in fact getting ready to cut 2 teeth on bottom and Doc said looks like 2 teeth on top are soon to follow. He also said that her teething schedule will be very similar to that of Rob and I as babies. My dad can't remember when I started teething, but Rob's mom said he got his first tooth at 5 months and had 12 teeth by age 1. I probably would have canceled my trip altogether, but I was helping host a baby shower Saturday. My wonderful Dr. said he would continue on with the trip if he was me and gave me his personal cell phone # to call if we had any problems.

We had problems. Wednesday night was the first time I have stayed up walking the floor with Kendall ever. She had a fever that wouldn't come down with Tylenol and would only sleep if I was holding her. I think I got 4 hours of sleep that night. Thursday I called the Doctors office and they recommended taking her to a Pediatric Urgent Care Clinic. Although a low grade fever is common with teething her fever was too high. The Urgent Care Clinic informed me that she had the beginnings of an ear infection. Really??? I was just at the Dr. less than 48 hours ago where her ears were checked with no sign of an ear infection. So we went along our merry way with a prescription for amoxicilin, which Rob's mom later informed me that Rob is allergic to. Thank goodness she got my genes in that dept., all we needed at this point was an allergic reaction to medicine.

Her fever persisted for an additional 2 days with the antibiotic and Tylenol, but is finally gone. So teething season is upon us and Hylands teething tablets probably work the best for us. She is not a fan of Orajel at all! Kendall and teething rings have a love/hate relationship and I'm sure there are plenty more of sleepless nights to follow.

1 comment:

Ticey said...

aww, sorry it was such a tough trip! Poor Kendall!!! and of course poor you! Hope she's feeling better and that the rest of her teething journey won't be so bad!